[CentOS] Word Perfect [Was: Novell sale news?]

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Nov 23 19:05:58 UTC 2010

John Hinton wrote:
> On 11/23/2010 12:49 PM, Bill Campbell wrote:
>> WP users *LOVED* reveal codes as it allows people to see exactly
>> what's going on under the hood, and even fix some things when the
>> files get out of whack.  I answered the phone one time, and the
>> opening from the caller was ``I want Reveal Codes''.
>>
> Well, sorry, but I'm 'lured' into this thread now. I tried to resist.

Yeah, it's a slippery slope. <g>
<snip>
> but what most people need is simply a WordProcessor. Yes, I still have
> Perfect Office installed on my Windows system and I very much prefer it
> over Office. Yes, reveal codes is one of the reasons, but I don't feel
> it is bloatware. It has what I need and it is where I can easily find

Oh, yes: in '95, PC Magazine ran a review of word processors, and noted
that 90% of the people IN 1995 using word processors only used 10% of the
features that were available then, and of the other 10% of the folks who
did use the other features, they only used any of the 10% of the time. But
if you add new bloat, er, features, you can try to sell people new
versions of your package, and charge a lot more than just an extra
features pack.

> it. Also, Quattro runs circles around Excel in data handling and ease of
> use. Just try out the Quattro formula builder and you'll wonder what
> Microsoft was thinking when they built theirs for Excel.

I think they were thinking they were trashing Lotus 1-2-3. Remember the
look-and-feel lawsuits? (Ghu, I *LOATHE* the way Excel, and scalc, the
Excel clone, handle movement and editing.)
<snip>
         mark