[CentOS] CentOS 5.5: what do /etc/sysconfig/networking and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts exactly ?

giggzounet

giggzounet at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 08:14:31 UTC 2010

Hi,

on our cluster we have 5 network interfaces. I was surprised to discover
that the ifcfd-* files under /etc/sysconfig/networking and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts were not the same. So I have searched a
little bit, but I'm now confused:

- the files under /etc/sysconfig/networking come from system-config-network.
- the files under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts are read by the
/etc/init.d/network script and used to set up the network interfaces.
- I don't find where the files under /etc/sysconfig/networking are used.
- Does system-config-network modify the file under
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts too ?

Is there someone who can enlightenment me ?

Thx in advance,
Best regards,
Guillaume