[CentOS] CentOS 5.5: what do /etc/sysconfig/networking and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts exactly ?

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr
Wed Nov 24 12:25:35 UTC 2010

giggzounet wrote:
> Le 24/11/2010 09:22, John R Pierce a écrit :
> this script just uses /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. All my interfaces
> work fine. My problem sit to understand the intereaction between
> /etc/sysconfig/networking and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. When I
> boot the network script read and set up my interface with the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts files. So why are there
> /etc/sysconfig/networking ? how these /etc/sysconfig/networking files
> are used ?

AFAIK /etc/sysconfig/networking/* is only used by system-config-network,
you can define "profiles" and then switch from one to the other, and
system-config-network copies (or hardlinks?) the relevant parts to
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.
Note that lots of stuff in /etc/sysconfig/networking are hardlinks to
files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts or /etc (eg hosts and
resolv.conf on my system here), they're not actually different files.

Just avoid system-config-network and configure stuff yourself in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and /etc/sysconfig/network, and you'll be
fine.