[CentOS] New list ?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 02:20:45 UTC 2010

On 11/24/2010 2:24 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 09:06 +1300, Spiro Harvey wrote:
>> I don't mean to say there aren't knowledgeable and able people here,
>> but I think if there was a list focused to them, then I think that
>> would attract more technical people who are able to help each other out
>> on problems higher up the food chain.
>> But maybe that's an idea for a generic linux list and not a CentOS
>> focused one.
>
> These already exist. [And I agree, most of administration is
> distribution agnostic].
>
> lopsa-tech is very high quality.
> <quote>
> The tech at lopsa.org mailing list is an open forum for the discussion of
> any technical topics of interest to systems administrators. This list is
> technology agnostic, and constructive communications regarding any
> operating system, vendor, or technology are welcome.
> </quote>
>
> But in general it is simply true that if you want answers about
> something specific you are better off on a specific list - because that
> is where the people who have the answers are.  Whether that is the Samba
> list(s), the Postfix list, the OpenLDAP list(s), bind-users@, etc...

But generally the only advice from an upstream app list will be 'upgrade
to current' because they won't know/care about the things that may or
may not have been backported in older enterprise distributions where the
focus is to keep the interfaces stable.  Replacing your well
maintained/supported RPMs with something that puts the update burden on
you is sometimes the right answer, but not very often.

Likewise, you may see the same questions on a generic sysadmin list as
on a Centos-related list, but the answers will be different, and not
necessarily the best.  If someone with a lot of Centos experience tells
you to do something different, you can take it more seriously than if
the answer is coming from someone who thinks everyone should be running
freebsd just on general principles.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com