[CentOS] Centos and Bridging

Alan Hodgson ahodgson at simkin.ca
Fri Nov 26 20:00:49 UTC 2010

On November 26, 2010 11:25:06 am Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> KVM, itself, was unusable in my testing due to the "bridged network"
> mishandling and its complete lack of a concept of failover for network
> issues, particularly pair bonding for the server itself. PXE for the
> clients was unusable, and it ran like a dyslexic on too many opiates,
> slow, twitchy, and unpredicatable.

The UI in RHEL 5/CentOS 5 is definitely very limited, but KVM does work with
all these things under the hood. In particular KVM seems to run fine on top of
a simple host bridge, which can in turn rely on a bonded interface. I have had
no problems with boot support, although I confess I don't use PXE - DHCP and
kickstart over the LAN work fine, though.

I do hope the interface implementation in RHEL 6 will be much more usable. I
don't mind doing things in XML files and command lines, but lots of people do.