[CentOS] SELinux - way of the future or good idea but !!!

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Sat Nov 27 02:01:13 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 03:29:49AM +0200, Eero Volotinen wrote:

> Usually it causes more problems. If you have unlimited resources to tune it up,
> then it possibly helps on the way.

	Only if you don't bother to take the time to read any of the
	resources I previously provided or any of the other SElinux
	resources available on the 'net.

	SElinux is not brain surgery; spend some time with the
	documentation and you'll be surprised at how easily it all comes
	together after a while.

	Telling people to disable it is not only foolish but completely
	irresponsible; doubly so in a medium that exists to support
	users.

	If the best avenue was to disable it do you honestly think that
	upstream would enable it by default?

	This is 2010 - people are expected to actually make an effort at
	learning the systems they so casually throw up on the 'net and
	to take responsibility for those systems.  Every time a box gets
	compromised it can pose a risk to the rest of us; please be
	mature and responsible enough to make it as difficult as
	possible to permit such a compromise in the first place.

							John
--
Live a good life.  If there are gods and they are just, they will not care
how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you

-- Marcus Aurelius (121-180), philosopher and writer