[CentOS] centos-5.5 VS Firefox 3.6.12

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Nov 27 20:09:58 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 07:41:03PM +0000, Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2010, fred smith wrote:
>
> > To: centos at centos.org
> > From: fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
> > Subject: [CentOS] centos-5.5 VS Firefox 3.6.12
> >
> > My firefox auto-installed an update from 3.6.11 to 3.6.12 this morning,
> > after which it gives this upon a restart attempt:
> >
> > Program received signal SIGBUS, Bus error.
> > 0x00123c47 in memset () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
> >
> > while I dig deeper, wondering if anyone else has seen it and/or can suggest
> > a fix.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Not sure if this is relevant, but on Centos 5.5 when Firefox
> (or libraries it uses) gets updated, it seems like a reboot
> is necessary to get things in sync with each other.
>
> Otherwise Firefox might be attempting to use wrong
> libraries.
>
> Just my own thoughts here.
>
> Anyone else noticed this behaviour using FF ?

well, I haven't re-booted (and haven't observed, or at least noticed,
the behavior you mention), but I moved aside (renamed) the directory
where my firefox installs, downloaded 3.6.12 and installed it, and it
works fine. so I suppose it's possible we had a bad download, or as time
has marched by some kind of cruft has accumulated in the former firefox
directory. beats me.

at least it's working now.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------