[CentOS] Minimising disk I/O

Keith Roberts

keith at karsites.net
Mon Nov 29 15:50:04 UTC 2010

I'd like to get disk I/O down to a minimum for my new Centos
5.5 installation.

The machine will not be used as a web server anymore, as
that's now hosted on a cloud platform. So there are no HTTP
requests coming down the line.

If I move the SWAP partition and /var/log/ to a small spare
drive, and install Centos on the new larger drive, is there
anything else that would cause disk activity on the main
drive, when the machine is running but not in use?

fetchmail will be collecting my email hourly, but I'd like
the drive to spin down and go into hibernate mode if
possible.

I have a backup drive that gets woken up once an hour to
backup email, and also during the night to make backups
of specified directories every 24 hours.

Apart from that, the drive is not in use, unless I run a
backup script manually.

So I'm hoping to do the same for the main drive if that's
posible?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.