[CentOS] how many people still use NIS?

Iain Morris iain.t.morris at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 01:02:22 UTC 2010

No one seems to like AD. I actually find it to be fairly manageable compared
to stock LDAP/Kerberos.  The management tools blow OpenLDAP out of the
water.  I laugh at myself saying it, but if you want simple management of a
big installation, AD is pretty dang tested these days and it's not hard to
integrate other systems in that environment if you have admin control of the
schema.

-Iain

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 4:46 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> > Stephen Harris wrote:

> >> Nobody in their right mind uses NIS+.  Even Sun have stopped it.
> >>
> >> When I did Solaris 2.4 training NIS+ took 2 chapters of the manual.
>  When
> >> I did Solaris 9 training it took 2 sentences.  Yes, NIS+ may be more
> >> secure than NIS, but it's a FPOS to use properly and not a recommended
> >> solution.
> >
> > *shrug* I've never used it. Trust me, openLDAP is a royal PITA, but with
> > AD as an alternative....
>
> Both NIS+ and LDAP are a PITA but NIS+ less so, IMHO, probably because
> I learned it first. Anyway, NIS+ is pretty much history...

-- -
Iain Morris
iain.t.morris at gmail.com