[CentOS] how many people still use NIS?

Iain Morris iain.t.morris at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 04:52:07 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> ----
> This discussion completely ignores the fact that user authentication is
> just one of the many things LDAP does. If all you are going to do with
> LDAP is simple user & group management then you have a lack of
> imagination.

Not to stray much further off the subject, nor defend AD much further on the
CentOS list, but AD does a lot more than user/group auth.  In fact it does
everything in your list (DNS, mail access lists, etc), and quite a bit more
out of the box.

Apple's Open Directory is a nice start, but pretty far behind in the race.
 In fact if I had a 1000 Mac installation, I'd rather build an AD domain and
extend the schema to include the Apple attributes and use WG Manager for the
Macs.  I honestly believe Apple has put more engineering time into their AD
plugin than their OD native interface.

Believe me I'm no Microsoft enthusiast, but AD is a capable and mature
product for the job.  Obviously for maximum flexibility stock MIT Kerberos
and OpenLDAP win, but I think I'd be wasting a lot of time using them
bare-bones when administrating a large multi-site organization.  Open-source
is free, but it's definitely not free once you start spending your evenings
combing mailing lists and debugging fringe issues that keep your business
from meeting its goals.

And NIS servers belong in a museum!  :-)

There, hopefully I've offended everyone.  Cent remains my favorite server OS
by a _huge_ margin.

--
-- -
Iain Morris