[CentOS] best filesystem for a webserver

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Sun Oct 3 14:48:10 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Roland RoLaNd <r_o_l_a_n_d at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> i'm setting up a new machine to handle a webserver with mysql
>
> web directory contains alot of small files and database is around 15 GB
>
> i've did a bit research, read alot of articles..
> mainly i came up with the understanding that:
>
> EXT3 is the set it and forget it kind of filesystem.
> and reiserFS is the best choice for small files though there's a bigger risk
> of data loss upon power failure (better solved in ext3)
>
> any advice on this matter? or any other filesystem you advise me to use on a
> production system?
>
> thanks

We use EXT3 on all our own, and client's web servers. It's stable and
works well even with power failures. I'd rather sacrifice a bit of
performance (does ReiserFS really improve performance *that* much?)
than lost data.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers