[CentOS] sata AHCI controllers (real and virtual)

drew einhorn

drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 02:53:17 UTC 2010

I saw something somewhere about AHCI support requiring kernel 2.6.19 or later.
But the current CentOS/RHEL stable kernels are 2.6.18

I'm trying to run CentOS/RHEL in a VirtualBox vm, which by default creates sata
virtual disks with an AHCI virtual controller.

These virtual machines are quite unstable, and I'm wondering if the AHCI virtual
controller is the problem.

I do have a real physical AHCI controller and I'm wondering if I
should try it on
a CentOS/RHEL 5.5 box, or if I should wait for RHEL/CentOS 6, before even
attempting it.

--
Drew Einhorn

"You can see a lot by just looking."