[CentOS] Duplex networkprinter for Linux

James Szinger jszinger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 13:39:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 15:18:09 +0200
kim.gabrielsen at get2net.dk wrote:

> does anybody know about a duplex (color) printer with linux support?
>
> either with centos as print server or - preferably - as a stand alone
> network printer?

At home, I recently replaced an HP office jet with a Lexmark X543
multifunction printer/scanner/copier.  The C543 is print-only
version.  Getting it set up under MacOS X, Fedora and CentOS was a
snap.  I'm happy with it (I don't print enough to care about the cost
of toner).

Recently at work, I had to set up a new HP, and had a hard time
finding a Linux PPD, and our sysadmin had no more success.  I
ended up grabbing the OSX PPD and removing the Mac specific parts.

The office jet at home worked OK once I rebuilt the Fedora HPLIP RPMs
for CentOS, but HP's Mac drivers were flaky, and were never updated for
news OSX releases.

Jim