[CentOS] OT: linux desktop market share more than 1%

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Oct 7 18:19:02 UTC 2010

> Bill Campbell wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 07, 2010, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> >>Benjamin Franz wrote:
> >>'98. But it's starting to have a visible presence, thanks to Vista.
> >>
> >>       mark "both hands on the gun, point at foot, fire!"
> <snip>
> > I have gone from OpenDesktop on SCO in the early '90s to Linux from 1996
> > or so to OS X shortly after it came out.  The vast majority of my
> development
> > is on Linux servers, but OS X Just Works(tm), and I don't have to be
> > constantly fiddling to get tools working.
>
> Of course, mo$t Mac $oftware comes with the Mac, and is all vetted by
> Apple. You might as well say the same for a plain vanilla Windows box.
> <snip>
> I run CentOS both at home and work, but I put Ubuntu on my netbook, just
> because they have a remix just for HP netbooks. *shrug* It mostly just
> works.

I've *always* run Linux on my desktop (AMD Semperon on a KS Rock
motherboard) AND laptop (IBM Thinkpad X31).  And never ran *any*
version of MS-Windows *ever* (at home or at work when I was working at
UMass).  Both my laptop and desktop run CentOS 5.

At the local library, all but two of the workstations run CentOS 5 (all
but one are diskless).  Library patrons and staff people have no problems
using these machines. (I keep them up-to-date.)