[CentOS] OT: linux desktop market share more than 1%

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Thu Oct 7 19:16:21 UTC 2010

Am 07.10.2010 um 20:54 schrieb Mark:

> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Bill Campbell
> <centos at celestial.com> wrote:
> :
>>
>> I have gone from OpenDesktop on SCO in the early '90s to Linux from
>> 1996 or
>> so to OS X shortly after it came out.  The vast majority of my
>> development
>> is on Linux servers, but OS X Just Works(tm), and I don't have to be
>> constantly fiddling to get tools working.
>>
>> The vast majority of desktop users simply want to do things without
>> having
>> to worry about it.
>>

> I've been using CentOS on my desktop continuously since January 2007
> and on my laptops during the last 2-3 years, and they mostly "just
> work."

Except for stuff like scanners.
I doubt my mother would have been able to extract the firmware-binary
blob for her scanner from some installer-cd (or even from a windows-
installer).

Devs in the OSS-world seem too busy to invent yet another desktop, or
sound-architecture or image-viewer (just count how many image-viewers
there are on freshmeat - they're only beaten by half-assed GUIs for
iptables).

Rainer