[CentOS] sudo 1.6.9 versus sudo 1.7.2 behavioral differences with umask settings

David Goldsmith

dgoldsmith at sans.org
Thu Oct 7 23:20:58 UTC 2010

Two servers, each have normal user umask values of 0077 and root umask
values on 0022.

On the first server (CentOS 5.4 i386) running sudo 1.6.9pl7-5 (from
base), here are the results of touching a file as a user, as root and as
a user sudoing to root:

user: touch file	- result is 600
root: touch file	- result is 644
user: sudo touch file	- result is 644

On the second server (CentOS x86-64) running sudo 1.7.2p1-7 (from
updates), here are the results of the same actions:

user: touch file	- result is 600
root: touch file	- result is 644
user: sudo touch file	- result is 600		** this differs **

On the second system, if I downgrade sudo to the base version, it
behaves the same as on the first server, so this appears to be sudo
version specific rather than an i386 vs x86-64 difference.

Looking at the changelogs at the package home site, I don't see anything
obvious that covers this change:

http://www.courtesan.com/sudo/stable.html#1.7.0
http://www.courtesan.com/sudo/stable.html#1.7.1
http://www.courtesan.com/sudo/stable.html#1.7.2

Does anyone know how to change the behavior with the umask values when
using the newer version of sudo?

This is causing us some issues when sudoing to update an SVN working
directory used by our Puppet server.

Thanks,
David Goldsmith