[CentOS] Radeon HD 4550 driver

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil
Fri Oct 8 19:17:23 UTC 2010

m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote, On 10/08/2010 02:55 PM:
> James A. Peltier wrote:
>> This is a known issue.  The next proprietary ATI driver is due to be
>> released sometime next month and will correct it.
>>
> Oh, *great*. So I wait a month before I can get his system running a
> security-fixed kernel....

[Fun options]
Or see if you can take the SRPMs (from last kernel and the new one) and put back the needed
functions with out reintroducing the code that was fixed for the security reasons.
Or take the patch(s) for *JUST* the CVE's from this kernel and put them into the SRPM for the
previous kernel.

[Toooo much fun option]
Or see if you can mod the available ATI code to use reasonably correct new functions.

[pain option]
force X (mod /etc/X11/xorg.conf) to use either VESA or the supporting OSS driver in the interim.
(should still work, but sometimes more slowly)

* says the guy who lives with what the distro provides, so that the larger pain of keeping up with
the proprietary drivers can be avoided, even with nVidia equipment *

--
Todd Denniston