[CentOS] OT: linux desktop market share more than 1%

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 20:11:05 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com> wrote:
> On the other hand, when she wanted to do things with digital photos from
> here camera, she constantly had problems dealing with file transfers using
> a USB flash card reader, mostly properly unmounting and/or finding the
> proper data (she has a Psy.D. so is hardly a dummy).  I suggested she get a
> Macbook when she needed a laptop, and I get far fewer calls for assistance
> on this than on the Linux box, and will probably replace the Linux system
> with an iMac when the Linux hardware goes south.

Fun thread.

I'm a software developer with decent Linux chops going back 15 years
or so.  After leaving Windows, I used Linux as my main workstation for
a couple of years before switching to OSX.  It is simply a no-brainer.
 Almost everything on OSX just works, all the time, and when it
doesn't, it's pretty easy to fix.  Contrast that to Linux where my
complex X config (multiple graphics drivers and big monitors) broke
every time I did a distro upgrade, plus all the other random hardware
crap that halfway worked or never worked, even after spending hours on
it.  I have to hack on things all day for my job, I want my tools -
i.e. my workstation and OS - to Just Work.  I COULD fix most stuff,
but why stick myself in the eye with a fork if I don't have to?  OSX
has all the power of *nix, and none of the hassles; and decades of UI
experience and focus from Apple make for an extremely usable and
stable GUI.

Linux on servers is a no brainer, Linux on the desktop is only
appropriate if you (or the geek who supports your desktop) loves to
hack on Desktop Linux.

I will admit things are getting better all the time, and some
pre-built linux desktops and laptops are pretty sweet, but still not
as slick (and stable over long-term upgrades) as OSX.

Thanks,
-- Chad