[CentOS] Software bridge setup in RHEL 5/CentOS 5 questions, possible bug.

Robert Heller

heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Oct 9 20:37:59 UTC 2010

I have a question about software bridge setup (initscripts).

If one sets up a bridge network:

ifcfg-eth0:
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BRIDGE=br0
HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

ifcfg-eth1
DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=yes
BRIDGE=br0
HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

ifcfg-br0
DEVICE=br0
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=nnn.nnn.nnn.255
IPADDR=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=nnn.nnn.nnn.0
ONBOOT=yes

Deep in the guts of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth all of the
proper magic using brutil is done EXCEPT it does not put the NICs into
promisc mode.  ALL of the documentation for setting up a software bridge
talks about setting the NICs into promisc mode.

My question:  Which is wrong?  The documentation for setting up a
software bridge? OR /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth?

*I* have patched /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth to include the
line:

	/sbin/ip link set dev ${DEVICE} promisc on

just after the lines

	/sbin/ip addr flush dev ${DEVICE} 2>/dev/null
	/sbin/ip link set dev ${DEVICE} up

Should I file a bug report?  In the CentOS bugzilla or the RHEL bugzilla
(I am not a subscriber to Red Hat's support services)?

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933