[CentOS] installing 32 bit vlc on Centos 5.5??

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Oct 11 05:52:14 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 10:36:19PM -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
> I'm in yum dependency hell using epel, rpmforge and rpmfusion repos to
> install vlc on 32 bit Centos 5.5. Anyone have a better idea? Doesn't
> really have to be vlc I just want to be able to play a dvd and Movie
> Player complains about missing plugins without saying what they are.

Is movieplayer mplayer?  If not, that's what I'd suggest, it's always
handled everything I've thrown at it--I install it from rpmforge.

I also have rpmforge's vlc, (and rpm -qR |wc -l shows 140 dependencies),
compared to mplayer's 84.

I would strongly recommend using priorities.

If you give a sample of the sort of dependency error you're getting,
someone might be better able to help.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: No, but, see, Mom, that doesn't really work for me. We're
just going to the magic shop, no school supplies there.
Dawn: Yeah, Mom. I'm not going to Hogwarts. (chuckles) Hog-
(looks at Buffy, who's not amused) Jeez, crack a book sometime.