[CentOS] Went with OpenDNS for now

Lanny Marcus

Mon Oct 11 17:02:10 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Ron Blizzard <rb4centos at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> A few weeks ago I asked about firewalls and family filters. Lanny
>>> Marcus, I believe, suggested OpenDNS. Just wanted to thank him (and
>>> everyone here) for their suggestions.
>> <snip>
>> Ron: My pleasure. Usually, I am the one receiving help from the list.
>> Glad you found OpenDNS useful.  Lanny
>
> I've already set it up at my brother's house, it has to be the easiest
> family filtering solution for multiple computers. The only downside is
> this allows me to put off learning anything about Linux servers...
> again.

Ron: Again, you are welcome.  One morning last week, we had no DNS. I
told my wife, that's virtually impossible with OpenDNS. Called Tech
Support of our ISP and they told me their international connectivity
was down. For us, the nearest OpenDNS service is in Miami and that's
where the underwater cable to the USA ends.

The next morning, no DNS.  For some reason, after 20 1/2 months, the
DNS/DNS Caching in our IPCop box died.   :-)

I suggest everyone consider using OpenDNS, in their homes and offices.  Lanny