[CentOS] using a Laptop as a KVM console?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Wed Oct 13 18:52:43 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Giles Coochey <giles at coochey.net> wrote:
> Yes, for the lower end of the market you won't find that capability
> built in, but going forward - if you're looking for a server that is
> going to be co-located then remote management built-in should be one of
> the things at the top of the list of requirements. The iLO / DRAC still
> works as a very good option, especially if you don't know what equipment
> the engineer will bring onto site... you can at least expect them to
> have a laptop with a RJ-45 port on it!

How will DRAC / iLO work if there's a motherboard failure or network
problem? And what about situations where the Linux server act's as
PPPoE client to connect the network to the internet? Don't take this
the wrong way, we already use iLO's but they don't cater for every
need. And, I'm not going to replace a whole bunch of client's servers
at my own expense just to get an iLO board.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com