[CentOS] using a Laptop as a KVM console?

Ausmus, Matt mausmus at chapman.edu
Mon Oct 18 16:38:24 UTC 2010

I had the same thought a couple years ago.  I found a device from a
company out of the UK called Epiphan.  They make a small box that
connects via usb 2.0 (required) and acts as a KVM.  Essentially it
streams across USB.  They make drivers for both Windows and Mac and they
have a Linux SDK but will build a Linux client for you based on the
kernel you're running.  They're working on having a production Linux
client but it isn't there yet.

I've used it for both Windows and Mac.  I find connecting to a Windows
server is troublesome but it works great on Linux CLI.  This has become
my crash cart.  The company have been very aggressive developing the
software for it and are very responsive to problems you encounter.
We've had really good success with it.  It does have a few quirks but
nothing insurmountable and we're budgeting to purchase one for each
admin.

http://www.epiphan.com/products/other-applications/kvm2usb/

Matt Ausmus
Network Administrator
Chapman University
635 West Palm Street
Orange, CA  92868
(714)628-2738
mausmus at chapman.edu

"Nothing is ever accomplished by a reasonable man."
            -Bucy's Law