[CentOS] Not receiving mail

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 21:40:16 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 23:31, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> Sendmail is still the default on CentOS. So to switch to Postfix you
> will have to use the mechanism to relink - using alternatives.
>
> What prints out: alternatives --display mta

You found it!

[root at mercury ~]# alternatives --display mta
mta - status is manual.
 link currently points to /usr/sbin/sendmail.exim
/usr/sbin/sendmail.exim - priority 10
 slave mta-pam: /etc/pam.d/exim
 slave mta-mailq: /usr/bin/mailq.exim
 slave mta-newaliases: /usr/bin/newaliases.exim
 slave mta-rmail: /usr/bin/rmail.exim
 slave mta-rsmtp: /usr/bin/rsmtp.exim
 slave mta-runq: /usr/bin/runq.exim
 slave mta-sendmail: /usr/lib/sendmail.exim
 slave mta-mailqman: /usr/share/man/man8/exim.8.gz
 slave mta-newaliasesman: (null)
 slave mta-aliasesman: (null)
 slave mta-sendmailman: (null)
/usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix - priority 30
 slave mta-pam: /etc/pam.d/smtp.postfix
 slave mta-mailq: /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
 slave mta-newaliases: /usr/bin/newaliases.postfix
 slave mta-rmail: /usr/bin/rmail.postfix
 slave mta-rsmtp: (null)
 slave mta-runq: (null)
 slave mta-sendmail: /usr/lib/sendmail.postfix
 slave mta-mailqman: /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.postfix.1.gz
 slave mta-newaliasesman: /usr/share/man/man1/newaliases.postfix.1.gz
 slave mta-aliasesman: /usr/share/man/man5/aliases.postfix.5.gz
 slave mta-sendmailman: /usr/share/man/man1/sendmail.postfix.1.gz
Current `best' version is /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix.

> If that tells you that Sendmail is still the primary MTA, then run:
>
> alternatives --config mta
>
> and select Postfix. Then rerun "newaliases" or "postalias /etc/aliases".

Done! I then restarted postfix and there seem to be no new errors in
the logs. However, I still cannot telnet into port 25:

✈dcl:~$ telnet sharingcenter.eu 25
Trying 178.63.65.188...
Trying 178.63.65.136...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host
✈dcl:~$ telnet mail.sharingcenter.eu 25
Trying 178.63.65.136...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out
✈dcl:~$
--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il