[CentOS] FYI: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Release Candidate Available to Partners

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Tue Oct 19 15:59:54 UTC 2010

  On 10/19/2010 11:24 AM, JohnS wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 14:21 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 10/19/2010 02:09 PM, Jerry Franz wrote:
>>> That is what it does. It *licenses* distribution between people. You
>>> can't say "it's under GPL - but you can't redistribute it because I've
>> Ok, so that is the point I am trying to make here.  RHEL6 isnt released
>> as a product. They have an in-development code snapshot that they are
>> offering to a bunch of people to come look at with them for comments,
>> feedback, prep whathever.
>>
>> Also worth keeping in mind is that the RC to partners does not prevent
>> one of those partners from publishing the sources if they want for code
>> where licensing and their agreement with Red Hat permits them to. I am
>> not in a position to comment on that since I have neither seen the
>> agreement that Red Hat have in place for these said partners, nor am I
>> one of them.
> http://www.redhat.com/partners/

This is an interesting list. And to me, sending out a RC to a small
selection of the partners is a grand idea. Looks like this partner list
includes just about any aspect of real world computing. For instance, I
would want my RC to be installed on as many new and varied computer
systems as possible to check for compatibility issues. Each of these
partner groups has a specialty. Seems extremely logical to send a RC out
to them. Also, as they are 'partners' and not the world, would this be
any different from sharing the RC around within the RedHat offices?

Either way, this thread is really sounding a lot like we are just
getting antsy for CentOS 6! ;) I'm chomping at the bit for like 2 years
now. Fortunately I selected a titanium bit because if I ever manage to
chew through it, I must migrate to Fedora. :)  Patience grasshopper.

Can we start asking when CentOS 7 is going to be released now? HAH!!!

Thanks CentOS team!

John Hinton