[CentOS] black display during installation of CentOS5.5

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Oct 21 07:28:37 UTC 2010

On 10/20/10 10:38 PM, Ritika Garg wrote:
> I had posted the following question 4-5 days ago. I want to add
> something to the question which is important. The question was:
> During installation of CentOS5.3 from DVD, the installation was
> interrupted due to an error in a rpm package as the DVD had lot of
> scratches. So I burned image of CentOS5.5 on DVD. I selected
> installation in graphical mode. The first graphical interface screen
> comes from where we proceed further by clicking next. This screen is
> almost black and its impossible to carry out further installation as
> visibility is very poor.
> I was trying above for Dell Inspiron laptop which has Windows7
> installed on it. I checked the CentOS5.5 DVD on another system which
> is desktop and found that the graphical interface is perfectly alright
> there. So is there any setting that has to be done in the laptop?

well, Dell has made a few 100 model inspirons, and some of those had
several optional graphics modules (my wife's inspiron E1705 could have
had a ATI or one of several Geforce Go modules).    Some of them may
have graphics controllers that aren't well supported at all by linux,
like the Inspiron Mini10(1010) model I tried, with Poulsbo graphics,
very poorly supported out of the box, and even the downlaodable drivers
really aren't very good.