[CentOS] Howto align partitions in Linux + NetApp

Santi Saez

santisaez at woop.es
Fri Oct 22 11:00:35 UTC 2010

Hi,

NetApp support has suggested us aligning partitions to improve
performance, in short: starting sector must be divisible by 8. How can I
move the start point in a misaligned partition -in production, with
ext3- under Linux?

A screenshot with a misaligned (start=63s) and aligned (start=64s)
partition is available at:

	http://filesocial.com/lkwvvn2

(If anyone is interested in this topic, NetApp has a good document
explaining performance issues in misaligned partitions: "Best Practices
for File System Alignment in Virtual Environments", http://goo.gl/EkBw)

I have tried using parted "resize + move" commands, but when moving
start point a get this error:

   (parted) resize
   Partition number? 1
   Start?  [64s]?
   End?  [419425019s]? 419425018
   (parted) move
   Partition number? 1
   Start? 65
   End?  [419425019s]? 419425019
   Error: Can't move a partition onto itself.  Try using resize, perhaps?

Using fdisk 'b' command in expert mode ('move beginning of data in a
partition') works, but it doesn't move the file system.. thanks!!

Regards,

--
Santi Saez
http://woop.es