[CentOS] send HTML formatted mail (for M$ Outlook) with mailx

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 15:16:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 6:40 AM, Sven Aluoor <aluoor at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have here a small ksh script which generates html output and I am
> trying to send this html output as inline HTML mail for M$ Outlook
> users (not attachment).
>
> But it doesn't work, in mail you see the html source as plain text

The trouble here is that to have it properly rendered as HTML on
receipt, it has to be tagged as HTML in the *headers* of the message.
In your example, the headers are created by mailx, which is a very old
interface that doesn't know how to apply the appropriate tagging.

You may be able to fool it by doing this (note placement of newlines
is important, also removed unnecessary use of cat and subshell):

mailx -s "Test HTML output in outlook

If that doesn't work, you're going to have to avoid using mailx and
construct the message header yourself.