[CentOS] how long to reboot server ?

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Thu Sep 2 17:39:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 01:27:22PM -0400, Brian Mathis wrote:
> Uptime is no longer a badge of honor.  Typically there will have been
> some kernel updates that require a reboot, so a long uptime means they
> haven't been applied.  Also, it is a good idea to reboot periodically
> to catch anything that was not set up to start on boot correctly.  A
> server should always cleanly start up with all services it needs
> without the need for human intervention.

Indeed.  At my place we reboot production machines every 90 days.  Or
are meant to; I don't think management have worked out that rebooting
10,000 machines every 90 days means a lot of reboot activity!!

(The idea being to verify that services will come up after some form
of DC-wide outage; last think we want in a "business contingency" situation
is a few hundred servers not working properly 'cos the rc scripts are
broken)

--

rgds
Stephen