[CentOS] how long to reboot server ?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 15:23:31 UTC 2010

On 9/3/2010 10:07 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Sep 2010, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

>> From: Joseph L. Casale<jcasale at activenetwerx.com>
>> Subject: Re: [CentOS] how long to reboot server ?
>>
>>> My reboot times are regular, (still on F12 on this
>>> machine) but I always copy the kernel files into a subdir 'tmp-backups' so I can get them back if needed, even if yum deletes them.
>>
>> Huh, ok... What do you do with *just* the kernel?
>> Let me know how that works if you ever want to boot from it? Possibly the rpm
>> might make more sense?
>
> Yes, considering the number of *.ko modules that are built
> against a particular kernel version :)

Don't they get their own directory that you can preserve in a copy?
I've never had yum remove the running kernel, so never had to deal with
it, but always assumed that you'd be able to boot the install disk in
rescue mode, let it mount the filesystems, chroot, and then be able to
tell yum to install the kernel version you need.  Shouldn't that work?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com