[CentOS] Shutdown CentOS VM when closing VMWare Workstation

Alexander Farber

alexander.farber at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 12:34:04 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm using CentOS 5.5 / 16bit as a virtual machine in VMWare Workstation
and have installed the "VMWare Tools" by running vmware-install.pl and
vmware-config-tools.pl but can't figure out how to make the VM shutdown,
when I shutdown the Windows PC hosting it.

Does anybody please have any hints or scripts?

Do I need to use any VMWare modules if I just want to shutdown the VM?

Surprisingly I haven't found any good starters on the web yet

Thank you
Alex

PS: Here is what I have in /usr/local

# ls /usr/local/bin/
vm-support              vmware-toolbox             vmware-user
vmware-config-tools.pl  vmware-toolbox-cmd         vmware-user-wrapper
vmware-hgfsclient       vmware-uninstall-tools.pl  vmware-xferlogs

# ls /usr/local/sbin/
vmtoolsd  vmware-checkvm  vmware-rpctool  vmware-tools-upgrader

#  ls /usr/local/lib/vmware-tools/modules/binary/bld-2.6.18-8.el5-i686PAE-RHEL5/objects/
pvscsi.o  vmblock.o  vmci.o  vmhgfs.o  vmmemctl.o  vmsync.o  vmxnet3.o
 vmxnet.o  vsock.o

( <--- not sure if that's the relevant dir)

# rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-2.6.18-194.3.1.el5
kernel-2.6.18-194.11.3.el5
kernel-headers-2.6.18-194.11.3.el5
kernel-2.6.18-194.11.1.el5

#  /sbin/chkconfig --list | grep -i vmware
vmware-tools    0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:off   5:on    6:off

#  sudo lsmod | grep vm
vmblock                20512  3
vmmemctl               16956  0
vmci                   38308  1 vsock