[CentOS] vgrename, lvrename

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 04:40:52 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> wrote:
> Note: in the case of mkinitrd, you will need to rebuild your initrd if
>  you expect to actually boot the machine after renaming the volume group
> and logical volumes. You'll need to *manually* mount the root and /boot
> (at least) someplace (eg under /sysroot), then chroot there. Don't
> forget to fix /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.conf (root=...).

Googling got me the command:
   /sbin/mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

Unfortunately this resulted in:

   error opening /sys/block: No such file or directory
   error opening /sys/block: No such file or directory

The renamed root lvm filesystem is mounted on /mnt/root
the /boot is in /dev/sda1 and mounted on /mnt/root/boot

before doing the chroot, I tried

   sudo cp -a /sys/block /mnt/root/sys

Even though it was done with root privilege I got a lot of read permission
errors,
but a lot stuff did copy, maybe I got what I need.
did the mkinitrd, no errors

Lets try booting from the hard drive.

Hmm there's a splash screen, that's a good sign.

No Joy. It's not booting and complaining about not finding stuff with the
old names.

Did I screw up the grub.conf edits.  Just checked they are ok.

It finds the volume groups with the new names
then complains about the old names:

   Volume group "VolGroup00" not found
Unable to access resume device (/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01)

Hmm. That's the old name of the swap device.

There's at least one more piece of the puzzle that's missing.

Lets boot up the Live CD again.  And take a closer look at fstab.  Looks
good to me.

--
Drew Einhorn

"You can see a lot by just looking."