[CentOS] looking for cool, post-install things to do on a centos 5.5 system

Robert P. J. Day

rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Sep 17 07:39:32 UTC 2010

  (note:  i asked this a few days ago but it *appears* that that post
was tossed due to getting excessive bounces from my account.  so i'm
posting it again, apologies if you're seeing it a second time.)

  over the next several weeks, i'm teaching some courses in RHEL admin
but (unsurprisingly) i'll be using centos 5.5.  it's a
decently-written, 3rd party course, all the generic, standard admin
topics but it does leave me about a 1/2 day to throw in any cool stuff
i want to add.

  so, any recommendations for neat things that people here have done
in the way of what can be added to or configured on a centos server
system?  the course covers all the standard topics -- installation,
package management, service management, filesystem maintenance, that
sort of thing.  so i'm looking for bonus, neat stuff that others here
do as a matter of course when putting together a centos system.

  logging utilities?  intrusion detection?  monitoring?  anything that
leaps to mind that i can use to fill up a few more hours.  i'm already
thinking of showing how to build and boot a new kernel.  other ideas?
thanks.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca