[CentOS] Raid 10 questions...2 drive

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Sat Sep 25 02:50:00 UTC 2010

On 10-09-24 10:27 PM, Tom Bishop wrote:
> I have been reading lots of stuff but trying to find out if a raid10
> 2drive setup is any better/worse than a normal raid 1 setup....I have to
> 1Tb drives for my data and a seperate system drive, I am only interested
> in doing raid on my data...
>

> So i setup my initial test like this....
>
> mdadm -v --create /dev/md0 --chunk 1024 --level=raid10 --raid-devices=2
> /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1
>

> I have also read about near and far but was going to play with this and
> was wondering if anyone had any insights for 2 drives setup...Thanks...

Raid 10 requires 4 drives. First you would make two RAID 0 arrays, then
create a third array that is RAID 1 using the two RAID 0 arrays for it's
devices.

With only two drives, your option is RAID 1 (mirroring - proper
redundancy) or RAID 0 (striping only - lose one drive and you lose *all*
data).

--
Digimer
E-Mail:         linux at alteeve.com