[CentOS] Controlling the order of /dev/sdX devices?

Cal Sawyer Cal.Sawyer at artsalliancemedia.com
Fri Apr 1 10:05:35 UTC 2011

The reason for the udev hotplug rule is simply for the purpose of mounting removable devices as read-only.  If udev is left to its devices, everything plugged up is read-write which is verboten in this application.  Unfortunately, there seems to be no way (i've found) to distinguish, at device/bus level, between a system HDD, a hardware RAID volume and an eSATA device and handle the eSATA device uniquely from others.  All eSATA and USB devices _must_ mount read-only.  If everything is lined up at boot, sda and sdb are camped via fstab and udev deals with sdc and above, mounting what are known to be removable devices as r/o.  Shotgun, i know, but there is no way of knowing in advance what devices the system (er, appliance) will see.

tangled, huh?

thanks

- csawyer

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com