[CentOS] WD RE4-GP Dropped From Raid

Steve Brooks

steveb at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Fri Apr 1 11:35:53 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I have a WD RE4-GP which dropped an Adaptec 51645 RAID controller. I ran a
smartctl short test on the drive and it failed with a read error. So I ran
the Western Digital's own diagnostic software (DLGDIAG), both the short
and extended test on the drive and it passed with no errors. So I ran the
smartctl short test again and again it failed. I then ran smartctl long
test and that also failed at the same logical block address as the short
test. Can anyone shed any light on this? Can I RMA the drive even if it
passes Western Digital's own tests? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Steve