[CentOS] Door not hitting me on my way out

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 01:37:43 UTC 2011

Sorry, folks. I wish our release developers well, and hope that they
can open up their processes to allow much needed community involvment.
But I've hopped to Scientific Linux and find it much more usable due
to their willingness to publish updates even without the entire new
release bundled, and the much timelier updates from the upstream
vendor. php53 and bind97 are directly available for their verison 5.x
release, and their version 6.0 has now taken over my testing
environments. This makes EPEL's version of drupal, and various Samba 4
testing accessible, and I don't have to waste my time on backports
that will be replaced by a release that is further, and further, and
further behind.

Perhaps in the future the configuration of the build and patch
environments can be opened up, or the patching going on for the
package rebundling can be published in just the way people with RHEL
would publish their kernel patches, rather than presenting merely the
results. But such ideas have been rejected as unnecessary, and even
the suggestion was rejected with hostility.

I know very well how much work such projects take, and regret that I
was unable to assist further. My tweaks and bundles will now be going
over to Fedora and Scientific Linux, rather than here or in the
developer's list.

                                                    Nico Kadel-Garcia
<nkadel at gmail.com>