[CentOS] interview request for ppl who have Shockwave/.Firefox working

ken

gebser at mousecar.com
Sun Apr 3 22:41:35 UTC 2011

For a long time now I've wanted to be able to watch videos.  I've done
the "try this!" and "try that!" method and it hasn't worked well.  So
I'm wondering if anyone running CentOS 5.5 has Shockwave on Firefox working.

Currently it works for me with short videos-- up to two or three minutes
long.  However, when Shockwave is enabled, CPU usage jumps to 99%,
sometimes even 100%!  If I disable it CPU usage goes down to 1 - 5%.
(For those who speak load avg, I've seen highs of 6 and 8... as opposed
to the no Shockwave-now of 0.14 to 0.45.)

So with the CPU already buried just by having Shockwave is enabled, if a
video lasts longer than four minutes, gaps in the video's continuity
begin to appear, and by ten minutes in the video is locked up altogether.

What's everyone else's experience with this?  Does anyone have a setup
where they can view a 1.5-hour video normally... and maybe even work in
their editor alongside it at the same time?  If so, would you be open to
explaining what hardware and software etc. you've got so that this works
so well?

Thanks.

--
Anything is easy if you know how to do it.