[CentOS] Centos 6 Update?

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Apr 4 22:57:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> OK guys. Why don't you fork the CentOS project and build your own???
>
> Why don't ANYBODY fork CentOS project? What are you/they waiting for?
> Whining is easy, build something on your own.

Too strongly stated.  I am aware of at least two private
rebuild efforts that I have advised over the rough spots in
the last 4 months.  But those efforts have not sought to
replicate CentOS, but rather to 'scratch an itch' with a
different goal than CentOS goals of replicating a rebuild of
the upstream sources, with needed trademark and branding
alterations, seeking binary identical-ness with all that the
upstream ships insofar as possible

But re-producing CentOS through a fork is just not sensible,
because CentOS is not just a pile of packages meeting some
standard [it is also hard work to no obvious new good purpose]

CentOS is also the mirror network; it is the mailing lists; it
is the builders being willing to ignore the temptation to
release a 'rough draft' at the expense of breaking the
reputation (justified by past releases) to quiet perhaps ten
people whining for something, anything, at the expense of
potentially harming millions of installations

There is a playpen for people who want the latest and greatest
with a six month release cycle that use the RPM packaging
system and the yum updater. But it not named CentOS

-- Russ herrold