[CentOS] ZFS @ centOS

rainer at ultra-secure.de rainer at ultra-secure.de
Tue Apr 5 07:58:49 UTC 2011

> On 4/2/2011 2:54 PM, Dawid Horacio Golebiewski wrote:
> You might be asking why I didn't choose to make a ~19 TB RAID-5 volume
> for the native 3ware RAID test

That is really a no-brainer.
In the time it takes to re-build such a "RAID", another disk might just
fail and the "R in "RAID" goes down the toilet. Your 19-disk RAID5 just
got turned into 25kg of scrap-metal.

As for ZFS - we're using it with FreeBSD with mixed results.
The truth is, you've got to follow the development very closely and work
with the developers (via mailinglists), potentially testing
patches/backports from current - or tracking current from the start.
It works much better with Solaris.
Frankly, I don't know why people want to do this ZFS on Linux thing.
It works perfectly well with Solaris, which runs most stuff that runs on
Linux just as well.
I wouldn't try to run Linux-binaries on Solaris with lxrun, either.