[CentOS] sshd: Authentication Failures: 137 Time(s)

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Tue Apr 5 15:56:24 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 5:51 PM,  <rrichard at blythe.org> wrote:

>> Introducing a Hawk helped us a lot. Tools like Hawk and
> fail2ban are quite
>> useful, actually only thinks like that have
> good impact on the bruteforce
>> attempts.
>
> Indeed! I run
> Fail2Ban not only against SSH, but against SMTP/AUTH and IMAPS/POP3S (the
> only client mail protocols we support). It's amazing how many dictionary
> attacks take place against SMTP by persistent spamers! Besides the effect
> against dictionary attacks, it makes the morning reading of the secure log
> a pleasant experience. :-)
>
> However, moving to a non-standard
> SSH port has had a profound effect on the attempts. It's a triple whammy
> for the script kiddies. Find the port if you can, then you get 5 tries at
> a non-existent username/password before your packets get dropped on the
> floor, and you are totally blocked from the entire system for an hour.
>
> Bob

fail2ban work very well against SSH, SMTP, POP3, FTP, etc, etc.

Another useful tool is Config Server Firewall, which offers DDOS
protection, and can be configured to email you when someone was
blocked for bruteforce attempts.

OR, you can use Port Knocking - which is a iptables script which
monitors 2 or 3 ports, when telnetted to in a pre-configured sequence
will open the SSH port in the firewall. This also works very well

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com