[CentOS] Forcing IPv4 DNS lookups first before IPv6

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 23:56:34 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 07:46:32PM -0400, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> In the case of traceroute, there shouldn't be any AAAA DNS requests
>> when specifying ipv4 transport ("-4").
>
> Umm, no.  The transport protocol is irrelevant to the query.  You can
> make AAAA queries over IPv4.  Indeed I do that all the time.

You can make ipv6 queries on ipv4 (which is what's happening to the OP
since he's disabled ipv6 on his box) but I've just checked and
traceroute doesn't make an AAAA query (unless I was in too big a hurry
and missed it!).

Whether other applications have an equivalent option and are this
"intelligent" will have to be checked app by app, although it would be
the logical behavior.