[CentOS] CentOS-5.5 Live CD & netinstall

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Apr 6 11:15:21 UTC 2011

William Hooper wrote:
>> I've looked quite carefully at my CentOS-5.5 Live CD (on a USB stick),
>> and I don't see a Network Install option anywhere.

> Try hitting the space bar during the Automatic boot countdown screen.
> That should give you the boot menu with the option to do the network
> install.

Thanks.
I had actually found that by chance.

> Also note that the next version of the LiveCD won't have this option:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOSLiveCD5.6

I wonder why?
I have found it quite difficult to install CentOS-5.5 on my HP microserver,
which doesn't come with a CD drive.
For some reason, I haven't been able to get netinstall on a USB stick.
Also, I have partitioned the disk (with CentOS Live CD),
and want to use this partitioning.
Cobbler (with default settings) overwrote this partitioning,
and replaced it with LVM.

I'm sure it is possible to modify cobbler settings
to use an existing partition,
as also to use PXEboot without cobbler, which I've done before.
But either involves some complication,
and I am interested in finding a simple "out of the box" solution,
if there is one.

I would have thought that nowadays more people would want to install
with a USB stick than with the traditional CD or DVD,
which I imagine will go the way of the floppy for this purpose.

My suspicion, perhaps unfair. is that RedHat don't really favour
USB installation, since it gives them less control over the product.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net