[CentOS] How to set the hostname alias in DNS server

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 01:33:12 UTC 2011

On 4/6/11 8:18 PM, sync wrote:
> Hi ,all:
>

> There has a problem which confused me for a long time . The problem is the
> following:
>
> Would I can set the hostname alias in DNS server?
>
> That's to say,  for example , if  my hostname is called server,  that it's ip
> address is 127.0.0.1
> and I want to alias another name called aaa

First, 127.0.0.1 is a special case that always refers to the same host where the
connection originates, so you can't really use that from another machine
regardless of how you resolve the name.

> Gernerally, I can edit the /etc/hosts file to modify it, but the another
> computer did not recognise it.
> How could I do it ?

That is up to your DNS server type.  If it is BIND/named you'll have a zone file
for each domain it is serving with an 'A' record entry for a name and IP, and
you would add CNAME entries for aliases or additional names.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com