[CentOS] Centos 6 Update?

David Sommerseth dazo at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 7 13:41:39 UTC 2011

On 07/04/11 15:11, Radu Gheorghiu wrote:
> On 04/07/2011 03:58 PM, Max Hetrick wrote:
>> On 04/07/2011 08:41 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>
>>> Please try to maintain some semblance of professionalism when you post
>>> to this list.
>> This coming from someone who frequently tells people to "SHUT UP" and go
>> away and use something else. I guess that's far more professional than
>> others trying to open up communications between a projects members and
>> the developers.
>>
> Fully agree. This attitude has lead many companies I know to drop CentOS
> in favour of other distros. This project is sure not going in the right
> direction.
> I know, I'm going to be told to use something else, I know I know, I'm
> looking for alternatives.

Fully agree!  Which is why I'm investigating a migration to Scientific
Linux.  It doesn't provide 100% binary compatibility, compared to CentOS.
 But I'm also not using software packages which should depend on that.

I'm saddened to see how CentOS have developed over time, just because of
fundamental issues in building a real community around itself.  This really
must change, or else CentOS will loose even more users over time.  And what
worse is, this comment from Johnny is not unique, and he is involved in the
packaging/development of CentOS.

CentOS developers might scream for help as much as they want, but people
won't help out when not being treated nicely, or seeing that others are not
being treated respectfully.  I was a even on the #centos IRC channel for a
short while, but left it due to quite similar negative attitudes there as
well.  If telling people to f*** **f is a considered a nice behaviour by
developers, I'm sorry, I'm not interested in such abuse.

I've raised my voice in regards to this topic enough times now.  The only
hope I have left is that Karanbir Singh is able to correct the course
before it is too late.  I see very few other alternatives right now.
Unfortunately.  And I do hope CentOS will improve with time.  However, it's
too late for me now.  Maybe I'll come back, maybe I won't.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

kind regards,

David Sommerseth