[CentOS] Controlling the order of /dev/sdX devices?

Charles Polisher cpolish at surewest.net
Fri Apr 8 03:11:49 UTC 2011

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com> wrote:
> > Rudi Ahlers wrote:
<snip />
> But as with so many posts on the mailing lists these days everyone seem to
> wonder off from the original topic and not even bother to help with OP with
> the original question. Surely he has a good reason why his system not
> updated yet.

Amen.

To the OP, from man mke2fs:

   -L new-volume-label
      Set the volume label for the filesystem to new-volume-label.
      The maximum length of the volume label is 16 bytes.

Method 1:
When creating a new filesystem with mke2fs use the "-L mylabel"
option, or use e2label to change the label on a previously-
created filesystem. In /etc/fstab use a corresponding LABEL=mylabel
filesystem spec (first field).

Method 2:
Use blkid to get the uuid for your partitions. Then use
UUID=00000000-1111-2222-3333-444455556666 in /etc/fstab in the
first field. From my point of view the advantage is that if
during some service manouver a disk is shuffled into the wrong
slot, you can puzzle out how to put humpty-dumpty back together.
(Having previously made an off-host copy of /etc/fstab.)

--
Charles Polisher