[CentOS] CentOS-5.5 Live CD & netinstall

Markus Falb markus.falb at fasel.at
Fri Apr 8 07:35:36 UTC 2011

On 8.4.2011 02:54, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> Here's the prompt you'll see and what it means:
>>>
>>> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html-
>> single/Installation_Guide/index.html#s1-begininstall-nfs-x86
>>
>> I see no mention there of the method you suggested, which was
>> ---------------------------
>> I don't get it.
>> That's the whole point of the boot.img,
>> which is made to simply dd onto a usb device.
>> And having booted from that, there is nothing different
>> than any other way of booting into the installer
>> except that you have to tell it where the install media is.
>> ---------------------------
>>
>> Actually, I can't find "boot.img" on the DVD:
>>
>> [tim at helen ~]$ cd /mnt/dvd
>> [tim at helen dvd]$ sudo find . -name disk.img -print
>> [tim at helen dvd]$
>>
>> I see images/bootdisk.img .
>> Is that what you meant?
>
> Yes, my memory isn't that great, but it is in the install guide:
> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/ch02s04.html#id3098219

My memory isnt great neither. There is a boot.iso mentioned including
the use of dd but only in the Installation Guide for 6.0 (2.3 Making
Minimal Boot Media)

Back to 5...

It seems that the link on centos.org is an outdated copy. Have a look at
2.4.1. Alternative Boot Methods in

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Installation_Guide/ch02s04.html#sect-New_Users-Alternative_Boot_Methods

A more manual way to make usb stick bootable is described instead.
Maybe you have more luck with that.
dd method is not mentioned anymore.

--
Kind Regards, Markus Falb