[CentOS] Centos 6 Update?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Apr 10 11:36:43 UTC 2011

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>> I have never been insulted or belittled by my hairdresser as we discuss
>> how my hair is best cut. My bakery has refused to sell me sliced bread
>> because it was too hot to slice... however, they kindly explained when I
>> should come back if I wished such that the bread would suitably be ready.
>> No drama.
>
> And in each of those circumstances, you are PAYING for a service, not
> getting if for free.  You are also NOT making the hairdresser or the
> baker tell you HOW they bake bread or cut hair.

I've never seen any posting from Johnny Hughes or Karanbir
that I thought insulting or belittling,
and I am very grateful to them for the work they have done,
since CentOS-5.6 is working faultlessly for me, as previous versions did.

However, I do think it is a political or PR mistake
to offer this "It's free, so take it or leave it" line.
It's only a short step from that to
"It's free, so don't expect it to work very well".

In my experience, much of the best software is free,
and there is no need at all to make excuses for it.
I ran a Windows Server OS, admittedly for a very short time,
and found it far less reliable than CentOS.

I think Karanbir made a small PR error
in naming or implying dates for CentOS-5.6 and CentOS-6.
To my mind, it would have been much better just to say
something like, "We're working hard on CentOS-6,
and will get it out as soon as possible,
given that this is a part-time activity for us".

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net