[CentOS] whats the package that allows copy and paste between windows

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Apr 11 14:05:56 UTC 2011

> Jerry Geis wrote:
> > What is the package that allows copy and paste between windows?
> > I think I need to yum reinstall it.
> > after the 5.6 update I get the copy button when I right click - (for
> > example in thunderbird)
> > put when I then goto a console window and try to right click and paste
> > the paste is grey-ed or ghosted.
> >
> > Is there a package that controls the clip board or something?
> > Thanks
> > Jerry
>
> you might be looking for gpm
> Description :
> Gpm provides mouse support to text-based Linux applications like the
> Emacs editor and the Midnight Commander file management system.  Gpm
> also provides console cut-and-paste operations using the mouse and
> includes a program to allow pop-up menus to appear at the click of a
> mouse button.

Also note: gpm is for console windows only and NOT for X11 and it is not
possible to copy and paste between X11 applications and the non GUI
console windows.  There isn't a 'universal' clip board.  Gpm has its
clip board and X11 has its *separate* clip board (actually, each X
server has its own independent clip board, so it you run multiple X
servers you can copy and paste from one to another).