[CentOS] How can a company help, officially?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Apr 11 19:28:28 UTC 2011

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011, Digimer wrote:

> On 04/11/2011 03:10 PM, Dag Wieers wrote:

>>> [ ... ]
>>>
>>> Then why are you always coming back here to voice your concerns
>>> if you don't expect any change?
>>
>> Convince me otherwise. These concerns are not just my concerns, I have had
>> companies calling me for more information or advice because these
>> questions go unanswered.
>>
>> But few people dare to raise their voice on this list.
>>
>> There have been interviews by CentOS developers on popular websites in the
>> past promising improvements to how the project is organized, but releases
>> take longer and development/QA stays closed. Why is that ?
>
> /putting on asbestos pants.
>
> each release is more complex than the last. The web of dependency grows,
> so the reverse-engineering takes longer and longer.

Not true for eg. CentOS 4.8 and CentOS 5.6, the complexity of those two or
no more different than CentOS 4.7 or CentOS 5.5. Besides that, if you open
up the QA and problems, there are more people that can jump in and help
fix one issue.

I have compared it to the development of the Linux kernel, either you try
to do everything by 3 people, or you open it up and let the community
provide you with issues and provide pull requests. So that those 3 people
simply have to merge those pull requests. It's a lot less work by the
core, and it scales better because all those people waiting for the new
release to be ready can actively participate and _make_ that release
faster.

I would basicly make the whole discussion void, because anyone complaining
could actively help the release go forward. Now we both know exactly what
the issue was, we can guess or have to accept vague information.

> Perhaps the tact to take is to apply pressure to the upstream provider
> to release the build details? I am sure that many folks who start with
> CentOS, grow to be large and move to RH proper. So there is, I would
> venture, an argument to be made that RH providing this info to CentOS
> and helping CentOS thrive would be beneficial for their business.

Well, that could be useful too, but why sit and wait for something you
cannot control to happen. Or take a decision that the project can
implement today.